Robin Menefee, RN, BSN, MBA
Nursing Leadership Consultant
Robin is a healthcare leader with more than 10 years of progressive leadership experience in surgical services. She has a history of leading process improvements that have resulted in positive patient care outcomes and a healthy work environment. Her leadership experience and clear, insightful thinking enable her to successfully achieve the goals of a mentor to any manager.
• Responsible for all aspects of acute care hospital Surgical Services including: surgical suites, endoscopy suites, PACU, outpatient surgery, central sterile processing, lithotripsy, pain management, PAT department, anesthesia, laser program, wound care program.
• Developed Block scheduling that was rated best in region for block utilization.
• Prepared Surgical Services for successful Joint Commission and DHS surveys, with no recommendations.
• Developed a comprehensive Perioperative department rated best in region for workplace safety.
• Developed and implemented a new policy for counting and a guide for universal protocol in the OR.
• Revised processes to improve first case on time starts; the department improved by 55% during her time at the hospital.
• Collaborated with the Unit Educator to develop a new orientation program for the Surgical Services employees.
• Created and implemented a patient focused care model that dealt with logistical and human resource changes associated with the opening of a hospital affiliated ambulatory surgery center.
• Assisted in the writing of a revised protocol in the medical bylaws concerning the MD privileging process.
• Responsible for the Interdisciplinary management of materials and supplies throughout the Perioperative Service areas.
• Created a time out checklist that was rated a best practice document by The Joint Commission.
• Developed services that achieved highest ratings for patients, employees and surgeons’ satisfaction.
• Consistently identified and implemented innovative models and best practices, emphasizing service improvement and cost effectiveness.
Motivation and Team Building
• Participatory management style highlighted by strong mentoring and coaching abilities.
• Active involvement in the Department of Nursing Shared Governance Professional Practice Model.
• Assisted with resolving human resource labor relations, employee and department safety and risk management issues.
• Assessed and implemented a Perioperative training program for the staff; responsible for ongoing training and development of staff competencies.
Summary of Experience
Past work experience:
Operating room technician, United States Air Force, Certified Operating room technician Mid Island Hospital, Long Island New York, Staff RN St. Francis Hospital, Manhasset Long Island New York.
Interim Manager of Surgical Services at Northwest Hospital in Randallstown, MD.; Interim Director of Surgical Services, Southwest Memorial Hospital in Cortez, Colorado; Clinical Manager for Ambulatory Surgery, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT; Perioperative Educator/Consultant, LBJ Tropical Medical Center, Fagaalu American Samoa; Perioperative Services Manager, St Francis Healthcare System, Ewa Beach, Hawaii; Perioperative Service Manager, Kaiser Permanente, Richmond, CA, Seneca District Hospital, Lake Almanor, CA.
Education and Affiliations
• Associate of Applied Science, Nassau Community College, Garden City, NY.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, Adelphi University, Long Island, NY.
• Master of Business Administration, Walden University, Baltimore, MD.
• Member: Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN).